Dr. Amit Prakash Sharma
Dr. Amit Prakash Sharma Director of the National Institute of Malaria Research of ICMR is an accomplished scientist with international reputation of excellence in malaria parasite biology. Dr. Sharma has made seminal contributions leading to the delineation of principles governing structure function relationships of key malaria parasite proteins. This work may also lead to the design of inhibitors targeting critical stages of the parasite in the human host. Dr Sharma has published over >95 papers in international peer-reviewed journals and is recipient of various awards for his contributions to malaria research. Dr Sharma is interested in enhancing basic malaria research that is embedded in the overall aim to control malaria.
- Sharma, M., Malhotra, N., Yogavel, M. et al. Structural basis of malaria parasite phenylalanine tRNA-synthetase inhibition by bicyclic azetidines. Nat Commun 12,343 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-20478-5
- Rahi M, Sharma A For malaria elimination India needs a platform for data integration BMJ Global Health 2020;5:e004198.
- Chowdhary A, Tarai B, Singh A, Sharma A. Multidrug-Resistant Candida auris Infections in Critically Ill Coronavirus Disease Patients, India, April-July 2020. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020 Nov;26(11):2694-2696. doi: 10.3201/eid2611.203504. Epub 2020 Aug 27. PMID: 32852265.
- Baragaña B, Forte B, Choi R, Nakazawa Hewitt S, Bueren-Calabuig JA, Pisco JP, et al. Lysyl-tRNA synthetase as a drug target in malaria and cryptosporidiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2019 Apr 2;116(14):7015-20.
- Chhibber-Goel J, Sharma A. Profiles of Kelch mutations in Plasmodium falciparum across South Asia and their implications for tracking drug resistance. Int J Parasitol Drugs and Drug Resist. 2019 Dec;11:49-58.
- Yogavel M, Nettleship JE, Sharma A, Harlos K, Jamwal A, Chaturvedi R, et al. Structure of 6-hydroxymethyl-7,8-dihydropterin pyrophosphokinase-dihydropteroate synthase from Plasmodium vivax sheds light on drug resistance. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2018 Sep 28;293(39):14962-72
- Jain V, Yogavel M, Kikuchi H, Oshima Y, Hariguchi N, Matsumoto M, et al. Targeting Prolyl-tRNA Synthetase to Accelerate Drug Discovery against malaria, leishmaniasis, toxoplasmosis, cryptosporidiosis and coccidiosis. Structure 2017 Oct 3;25(10):1495-1505.e6.
- Kato N, Comer E, Sakata-Kato T, Sharma A, Sharma M, Maetani M, et al. Diversity-oriented synthesis yields novel multistage antimalarial inhibitors. Nature 2016 Oct 20; 538:344-9.
- Jain V, Yogavel M, Sharma A. Dimerization of Arginyl-tRNA Synthetase by Free Heme Drives Its Inactivation in Plasmodium falciparum. Structure 2016 Sep 6;24(9):1476-87.
- Bhatt TK, Khan S, Dwivedi VP, Banday MM, Sharma A, Chandele A, et al. Malaria parasite tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase secretion triggers pro-inflammatory responses. Nature Communications 2011 Nov 8;2:530.
- Hora R, Bridges DJ, Craig A, Sharma A. Erythrocytic Casein Kinase II Regulates Cytoadherence of Plasmodium falciparum-infected Red Blood Cells. J Biol Chem. 2009 Mar 6;284(10):6260-69.
- Sharma A, Yogavel M, Akhouri RR, Gill J, Sharma A. Crystal structure of soluble domain of malaria sporozoite protein UIS3 in complex with lipid. J Biol Chem. 2008 Aug 29;283(35):24077-88.
- Singh SK, Hora R, Belrhali H, Chitnis CE, Sharma, A. Structural basis for Duffy recognition by the malaria parasite Duffy-binding-like domain. Nature 2006 Feb 9;439(7077):741-4.
- 2019 Lakshmipat Singhania-IIM Lucknow National Leadership Award
- 2019 National Institute of Pathology (ICMR) Oration Award
- 2018 Om Prakash Bhasin Award in Biological Sciences
- 2017 Selected for Royal Society Commonwealth Science Conference
- 2015 Infosys Science Award in Biological Sciences
- 2015 Elected fellow of The World Academy of Sciences
- 2015 Elected fellow of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi
- 2014 Ranbaxy Science Research Award in Basic Medical Sciences
- 2014 JC Bose fellowship, Govt. of India
- 2013 Outstanding Senior Research Program Grant, DBT, Govt. Of India
- 2013 Member of NASI editorial board, India
- 2013 Selection committee for Early Career Wellcome Trust-DBT fellowships
- 2012 Elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- 2011 Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award in Biological Sciences
- 2010 ISCA Platinum Jubilee Lecture Award
- 2009 Goyal Young Scientist Prize
- 2008 National Bioscience AwarDBT, Govt. Of India